Off the Top: Link List Entries
Another week of cleaning up, organizing, and working out partly broken identity and still working to get that resolved. Just the second time in 14 years with a Mac that I have had something this bothersome, which is much better than the nearly monthly with prior OS and same “corporate” OS when working on client sites.
- Simplicity is Bliss “Omnifocus Perspectives Redux: Miscellaneous”
- Code of Ages
- How I Made â€” Instead of Spent â€” 26 Cents With a Mobile App - Interesting take on turning entertainment cycles into pay cycles with similar activities
- And a Childâ€™s Robot Shall Lead Them
- Simon St. Laurent’s “Web by default”
- Joe Nocera “The New Republic’s Rebellion”
- Dana Milbank in Washington Post Opinions “The New Republic is dead, thanks to its owner, Chris Hughes”
- Andy Baio teaches his son video games historically
- Anil Dash on “How ThinkUp is doing as a business”
- Kevin Anderson “Strengthening communities and strengthening journalism”
- When A Branch Becomes The Root - This was the stand out of the week. I did light summary of it over at Personal InfoCloud “Design Fiction Futures for NYC Libraries”.
- Jessamyn West “Things That Make the Librarian Angry”
A week of clean-up on work and project front and prepping for a some personal projects and getting new work projects settled and sorted for the new year (you still have time to grab some time, you this is you reach out and say hello).
I am also in the midst of moving from the sofa as my work space and back to my desk. This summer the lighting was much better at the sofa and then had a stretch of work travel where my desk got buried when I dumped my bag on Friday returns and not really dealt with before Monday’s trip back out. While the sofa is comfortable and the natural light is still great, I miss having a good work space to have a few books open and working through things.
Links for the Week of 6 December 2014
- Dan Saffer’s “My Favorite Design Articles 2014”"
- Chris Messina Google+ post - I forgot to add this one last week and may have spent more time thinking about it than any other thing I’ve read in a while
- Design Explosions: Issue #1: Mapping on iOS - a great in depth breakdown of visual and interaction design through comparison of Google Maps and Apple Maps on iOS devices. So much goodness in this one
- Cloud Typography: Webfonts by Hoefler - I have no idea how I just ran across this during the past week, but cloud font and Hoefler type at a great price. My design iterations just got a new twist thrown in them
- Typed - Always a sucker for good new text writing app with Markdown and this is a real gem that fits in the light and easy to use category
- Sixty Words - RadioLab - I finally gave this a focussed listen and it was well worth it
This is the first go at a “liked” links push. It is through 30 November 2014.
- Michael Sippey’s filtered: week of nov 17 2014
- Paul Ford “The Group That Rules the Web”
- Khoi Give Insight into Designing Wildcard
- Anil talks about something that has been on my mind a lot, good relatively small projects staying alive
- Cameron Moll “The Disease of Being Busy”
- vanderwal Medium recommendations - a capture of things I liked / recommended in Medium
- Apple iWorks ’14 inspection by Ars Technica