E-mail I Can Use
I picked up a Gmail account over this long weekend. What , how did I get it? I bought it. Yes, I know they are free and I know it is still in beta. Yes, I got it from an auction site. No I do not think I am crazy.
- I subscribe to a lot of lists and I also get an incredible amount of e-mail to my personal address
- I do not have external SMPT access during the work day to post queries to lists or to quickly respond to mail.
- I did not have a Web mail account that allowed me to search or organize the e-mail as I wanted (searching through months if not years of list services is very helpful)
- I wanted to make sure I got a specific name
- I can use my mobile account to deal with personal e-mail and forward all other e-mail to Gmail
- I don't mind the advertising and having targeted ads is better than the garbage I don't care about
So far I am quite impressed with the interface. There are some things with the application that I was not expecting, such as spelling. I was also not expecting the labels for e-mails rather than silly folders. The labels allow for more than one category for each e-mail and the mail is not buried in a folder somewhere.